Friday, November 9

Letter From Your Child

Dear Mom and/or Dad,

     Today you saw my report card, and next week you will speak to my teacher.  This report card is my teacher’s attempt to describe my actions and accomplishments at school.  When you read the card, and talk to my teacher, please remember that he is describing someone near and dear to you, so please don’t get “uptight” if you see something you do not agree with.  I hope you will accept me as I am.

     Remember that all children do not learn to walk and talk at the same age, nor do they learn math and reading at the same rate.  Please do not compare me to my brothers and sisters or friends, because I am unique to this world.  Be realistic in setting my goals.  I need to be challenged, but not pushed beyond my ability.  I want to be successful and I need time to “smell the flowers” while I am still a child.

     Please remember that my report card is a picture of me at school.  It is a whole different world from the one at home.  Can you imagine having 22 children my age at the dinner table tonight, or 200 children in our backyard playing?  Don’t be surprised to find that I respond in a different manner at school.

     My teacher knows me as I am at school.  You know me as I am at home.  The “real me” may be somewhere in between.  I know you see me as a unique individual who can make you proud and bring you much happiness.  I will try my best.

With love from your child.